Monday, July 26, 2010

First Annual All-Girl Backpacking trip!!!

Howdy all you awesome ladies!!

I have been day dreaming for the past several years about starting an annual all-girl backpacking tradition.  And this is the first year it's been possible for me to get away overnight... SO, now i'm hoping some of you can join me this fall in freezing your tail off, getting blisters on your feet, eating rehydrated food-stuffs, and of course, laughing your ass off (cause let's face it, that's what we do when we're all together).

i know everyone is super busy and it's very hard to get everyone to commit to the same weekend. So i posted a few options please pick the one that would be best for you. Keep in mind that this is an overnight event (at least one night, possibly two- there's a poll for that too). If you cannot commit that much time but want to be in on the planning and what not, just for fun send me an e-mail.

Please indicate on the poll if you'd rather go to dollysods, or go out to western maryland and hike a section of the AT.  I have very minimal experience backpacking in Maryland so if you know of better places and trails or have any maps/guides please let me know!!! Nothing is set and we're all planning this together!!

I'd like it if you could all make it!! but if not this year, remember it will be ANNUAL so there's always next year!!!!!

13 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea!! I don't think I can commit to it this year though--my boobs are still in use, and although I'll start weaning soon, it's not gonna happen that soon. I'll have to hit the 2nd annual trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, thought the first message was a link to some XXXX website.... was curious, but afraid to open here at the office ! So, I sent it to spam. However, since you have clarified all... I retrieved it and actually VOTED - of COURSE for Assateageue-- it's flat and scenic and there's always a way to cool off ( for those who are sweating through Menopause with me)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo excited. I too voted for Assateague, but that's just because I was IN LOVE with the Misty books when I was a kid.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could make it...but as I will be somewhere between 4-7 months pregnant I would probably slow everyone down with my trudging along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm good on a good portion of the gear, though I haven't had a backpack for years (weird!!). I voted for only one weekend, but there are others that work. Is there a way to keep track of all possible options?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to subscribe to a huge dose of wishful thinking and actually check my calendar for a weekend when I'm not on a mammalogy field trip in Texas or out in the Louisiana woods looking for the skunks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are ambitious! The last time I hiked on the Appalachian Trail I was much younger and much more fit. I am not sure that I could do more than 1/4 mile nowadays. I picked a weekend in October because I thought it would be cooler then. Right now the thought of any kind of physical exertion is painful. Assateague sounds good in the Fall since most of the mosquitos should be gone by then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I barely know you guys...but i kinda wanna go.
    (bashfully kicking pebbles)
    I've been dreaming of camping at assateague all summer. and i have plenty of gear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! So excited! I voted for the weekend of the oct 22nd and definitely Dollysods -- so awesome there in the fall and fantastic hiking to be done. I'm available other weekends, but it seems like you can only select one weekend. Looking forward to it - lemme know if you need assistance Libby. I will do my best to help out - after the wedding is over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. woohoo! I'm down for just about anything. I'm not going to vote on a weekend but October sometime sounds good (and you've already conveniently ruled out the w/e I probably couldn't make it). So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a fantastic idea, but I'm poorly equipped when it comes to gear. I'll begin my acquisitions now, so I can be ready for next year!

    --Jessica H.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea Libs! I wish I could make it but no can do. Can't wait to see pics. Miss u much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this sounds awesome libby. lollo and i would love to go it just depends on the logistics. we have gear but all of it is of the car-camping style, definitely not set up for hiking-camping, but we'll try to get it together! when it gets closer i'll check in with you if it looks like we can go.
    -jocelyn

    ReplyDelete